Joy

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jam Making

I have been wanting to try making jam for a very long time. Since the stores have had blueberries and a fairly low price I have been buying them and freezing them like crazy. Then I thought I might as well give canning a try.

I bought small jars because I didn't want to make a huge batch not knowing what the outcome would be. Plus, these jars are super cute.

This is the recipe I used.

10 cups of frozen blueberries
1 cup of organic pear juice
1 cup of sugar
1 -1.75 ounces package of pectin

I put the blueberries and the juice in the blender because mashing just wasn't working out for me. Then, I cooked the blueberry mush and sugar and pectin until it was boiling hard.Meanwhile, I had the empty jars in simmering to sterilize them and for whatever reason the jars should be hot when you fill them. (In the black pot.) My stove got a workout but I did this after 9pm so our electricity was cheaper. I filled the jars but left to much head room apparently.Then, I boiled the jars for 10 minutes. (in the big red pot)

Ta-DA! It tastes amazing too!
This took me exactly an hour from start to finish and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Now I know to fill the jars more next time, get a canning tong because, well, lets just say bbq tools aren't the best for this job, and I will add a little more pectin as the jam is not a thick as I think it should be.

If you try this beware that your spoon will never be the same. This is clean.

2 comments:

  1. so... we finished off (which was most of it) your jam in one sitting today with waffles - it was SO yummy. A canning adventure may be called for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I asked my mom about the mother/daughter canning and she thinks it sounds like fun. I bought canning tongs so it should be much safer.

    ReplyDelete