Joy

Friday, April 16, 2021

Projects, (O)Possoms, and Puppies

 
Another week has flown by!   It is so strange how fast each day passes here.  We barely get started on school,  then suddenly it’s lunchtime. We go “to town” to run an errand or pick something up, and by the time we get back it’s time to start dinner.  

This week my mom and I re-tiled the entry way. 

Tile cutting level: Master

 

My mom is no stranger to a tile saw and we have tiled many a bathroom together so this job was easy but still took forever to get everything level and perfect.  (as perfect as possible when the subfloor has a high spot and the existing space for the tile isn’t plumb to the door.)

The kids are having a blast.  They spend so much time outdoors.

 

Toads!

 

Caterpillars!

 

Buttercups!

 

Dandelion chopping.

Throwing rocks into puddles (I realized that they have never had the opportunity to do this before!)


 

First time gardening.  Paige is so funny, she wears her overalls EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I try to wash them at night for her.

 Reassembling the playhouse from the move and planting flower seeds.

 

Deer in the front yard.

More trash collecting, sorting, and wood burning.

One evening, after it had rained in the afternoon,  I looked out the window and saw fog!  Just laying there on our field!  It is was spooky and magical at the same time.    The pictures don’t do it justice at all.

 

Ember is still pregnant.  She is like a ticking time bomb and whenever she disappears for a little while everyone looks for her hoping she is off having her babies somewhere in the house.   She is really a wonderful cat.   (better than the two we brought with us!)

She likes to sit on pillows.

We moved the mother cat with her babies from the chicken coop to inside so the babies will grow up around us and be friendly.   The mama, Missy, is happy to be inside the house I think – even though she is contained to a cage.

Our feral cat issue is ALMOST resolved.   We have caught all but 1 on the wild cats.  The remaining male is very sly.   We have not been able to outfox him since he last escaped one of our cages.  We are rigging up a snare trap with a net.   I am excited to try it out and see if we can get him.

We did catch a large opossum in one of the traps.  Wow, what ugly little creatures they are!   This guy was fun to look at and then we let him go.   He quickly lumbered off into the woods.    I am afraid that one of these nights we will catch a skunk.

Because of our cat trapping endeavors, the fine folks down at the Hot Springs Animal Shelter know us well.  I have driven there and have interacted more with them than anyone else in AR yet.  They are super nice and it's a great shelter.  We have been very impressed with them.  Because we have frequented the shelter so often, we saw that they had a group of puppies that were very cute (and very inexpensive!!!!)   They were too young to be adopted when we first saw them but after waiting a week and half they were available for adoption yesterday.   Josh picked out two and brought them home!  They are not from the same litter.  The brown is a female, hound mix and the black is a male, lab mix.


It has just been decided that their names are Lance and Lucy.

This little girl has stolen my heart for sure. 

.

Chickens and goats, here I come! (It will be a while still,  we have too much going on at the moment)

Our house has a huge wasp problem.  Years of neglect or perhaps complacency, has resulted in several, and I mean several wasp nests in the eaves of the deck.   Perhaps I am naïve but I refuse to accept that there is nothing we can do and just let them rule our outside space. We are to subdue the earth, not let it terrorize us!   I went to battle and killed over 30.   There was probably more screaming and ducking than I care to admit.  The kids cheered me on. 

I feel like we made a good dent in them that day.   I sprayed their nests and have seen very few since.

My mom and I went to a Goodwill, they don’t hold a candle to the AZ Goodwills but they are better than the Tucson Goodwills.  While there, my mom bought this power wheel for the kids.  (The ones that can’t drive the Mule, ha)  They love trucking around the yard.  Man, these kids are spoiled!

Very soon I will post a video blog tour of our house and land.  I want to be able to document the progress and show anyone interested what we’ve got going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment