Joy

Friday, September 23, 2011

3 and Up

We have recently discovered that there is a reason why companies mark their products with the phrase "3 and up". There is something magical that happens when a child turns 3 that suddenly makes them capable of tasks that to us, seem simple and doable at the age of 1 1/2 or 2.
I am very guilty of forcing things on Claire before she is ready for them. We put her in a Johnny Jump Up at 2 months, gave her a Little Tikes car on her first birthday, she got her first trike at the 18 months, and her scooter last Christmas when she was 2 1/2.
But much to our frustration, she wasn't able to ride any of these toys until she turned 3. Hi Ho Cherry-O and Candyland also games that she is just now able to grasp.... if only we had believed the box we would have saved ourselves (and Claire) much frustration.

When Claire was a baby, we were constantly looking toward the next milestone. "I can't wait til she can smile" "I can't wait til she can sit up" "I can't wait til she can crawl, walk, talk etc".

I don't feel that way at all with Joy. Maybe it's because we lost Will that I don't take this baby stage for granted, or maybe it's because we already have been through it with Claire. Either way, I am loving every moment with Joy. I want to be careful not to rush her along and make her grow up too fast.

She'll be 3 before we know it.

3 comments:

  1. Love your post! This echoes one piece of advice that was given to me when Kaylie was born and it was probably the most important thing I heard as a new mom. Enjoy every stage and don't be waiting for the next one - cuz then you miss the all the wonderful things they do now. It really made me stop and appreciate what I loved at every stage and now I'm so glad that I didn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly true, remember that when your starting to teach her to read/other academics.. :D. I made those mistakes with Ethan, and "pushed" him into hating school, now we've "Started over" with a focus on just loving learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true! I think with each child you realize they only have so many moments of each stage of life. We have learned to really soak up and enjoy them right where they are because before long, they will be grown and we will look back and miss these days!

    ReplyDelete