When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.
I have never liked this timeless hymn. We sang it at church not too long ago and as always, I got an uneasy feeling while singing it. Not because I dislike the melody or the words (although it is a rather depressing tune), but it just hit me today that the reason I didn't like it is because I felt like a hypocrite singing it. Why? I think it is because I have never experienced a horrible circumstance in which I've had to say "It is well with my soul". I realized that I didn't know if I would truly be able to say that in the face of tragedy. I felt like singing it would make God want me to "prove it" so to speak.
I have been living a blessed life. I have a wonderful husband, a beautiful, healthy, little girl, loving parents who live close by, a strong church community, Josh has his dream job, I have the best work situation I could ever ask for, we own our house, we have two dependable cars, we have everything we need. How could I sing that hymn and fully know what I was singing was true?
I know now. I know that God has bigger plans. I know He will never give us more than we handle. I know now how I react to life's most difficult moments. I know that I can truly say "It is well with my soul!"
And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
the trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend
Even so, it is well with my soul!
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
the trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend
Even so, it is well with my soul!
Hi Kathleen,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to what you’re saying because something similar happened to me last month in church too. Jesus, What a Fried for Sinners is a timeless hymn that I have sung many times but never really felt like I meant/understood what I was singing. After an unusually rough weekend where I felt broken, abandoned and rejected by friends and family and even God, I was in no mood to worship. Then this hymn came up on the screen and I broke down in tears over three stanzas…
Jesus! What a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.
Jesus! What a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.
Jesus! What a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.
For the first time I really felt like what the words conveyed and I cried out to God with the pain I was feeling in my heart…and I know He heard. While the last few weeks have had their toils, I have felt His presence and it has comforted me.
Have a great week Sister! Brenda
What a transparent thing to share, Kathleen. That is so close to God's heart! Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDelete