Thursday, July 2, 2009

Play Volleyball!

Last Sunday was our church's annual volleyball tournament. I always love this day and look forward to it every year. I have to be careful when I play though to not get on a team of people who "play for fun" This just makes me frustrated and then I end up angry. I understand having fun while playing, but to me fun is doing well and trying hard.... not swinging wildly and laughing at yourself because you have no skills or no desire to improve your skills. I don't understand why being bad at something is fun. I take 1 Corinthians 9:24 very seriously where Paul says "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win." Not, "Be horrible at the race but if you had fun - you won!" Anyways. I remember being very sad that I couldn't play last year because I was over 9 months pregnant with Claire. This year she got to join in the fun. Josh and I were on the same team so she cried whenever we were playing a game and someone else had to watch her. Eating watermelon was the only thing that made her happy if we weren't around.
Why there is such a thing as white shirts for babies I will never know.

She also was amazed by hula hoops for a little while, but my proudest moment was when she picked up a volleyball and triumphantly walked around with it like she was a pro. Notice that she is very serious about her volleyball playing just like her mommy.

We did have to leave before the championship game (which my team won) because Claire was so hot and sweaty and whiney. Poor girl had been out in the heat for 3 hours and it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment