Joy

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tortilla Land

I have been buying these uncooked flour tortillas for a couple of years now and every time I make them I think, "I should put these on my blog." but I am making dinner so don't have time to take pictures or my stove is so disgustingly dirty that I don't want to.
So here you go. If you have not seen them, or maybe have but haven't tried them yet, I am here to tell you that you should.

They are typically found in the refrigerated section alongside the cream cheeses. The pack of 18 costs between $2.84 (Walmart) and $3.87 (Fry's) - Or $8.73 at Safeway ... I'm just kidding, Safeway is too lame to have these - but if they did I'm sure they would be outlandishly priced.
There are a few other brands available but they have way more ingredients and artificial stuff in them so I have steered clear of them.

They look like this out of the package. Just peel one off
and throw it on your hot, cast iron skillet.
Wait until it bubbles up a little and give it a flip.
The second side bubbles up like this so you can take out your aggression and hit it to flatten it out.
Then, is just a few seconds, you have a lovely, thin, extremely soft, flour tortilla. (The whole process takes less than a minute) Put the rest of the uncooked tortillas back in the bag and freeze until the next time you need them. If I am really on the ball, then I lay a sheet of wax or parchment paper in between each tortilla before I freeze them. That makes life much easier if you only need to grab one or two for a quick lunch.

So go ahead, give them a try! Once you do, I guarantee you will never go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment