Joy

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Scrap Fabric Hair Flowers

I wanted the girls to have a special hair bow/band for Christmas; not just the same old ribbon bows I usually make for them.

I had pinned this fabric flower on my pinterest board and decided to give it a try. I used two different fabrics to make it looks more dressy; a soft chiffon left over from a previous project and a black silk type fabric from an old top. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out so I made one for Joy as well. (as shown in our Christmas photos.)

Later, I made this one out of Claire's window curtain fabric and a dress she had ripped while acting crazy in Sunday School.

Here is a quick picture tutorial of how I made them.

Find the fabric you wish to use and cut it into 9 squares. Mine were approx. 4x4 but it just depends on how big you want your flower.
Then cut a 5-petal flower out of paper and pin it to half of your fabric stack. Use the paper flower as a pattern to cut your fabric squares.
Ta da.

Then you need to cut a small circle of the same fabric to anchor your petals to. Fold one flower in half, and in half again...

then make one little stitch with a needle and thread to anchor it to the circle of fabric. Sew four petals to the circle of fabric and there you have the first layer of the flower.

Now for the send layer, fold the petals the same way but instead of sewing them on exactly on top of the first layer sew them on so they overlap the gaps of the first layer. (The picture says it all.)
Sew the four petals of the second layer.

To finish it off, you need to take the last flower, fold it in half and then roll it so it looks like a flower bud.

Sew it to the middle of the flower and sew the surrounding petals to it so they are secure.

Attach the completed flower to a clip or a headband and admire your work!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! This saved me! I needed a fabric rosette to accessorize my outfit for my daughter's wedding next week, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete