Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Big BBQ Day

The day of the BBQ finally came and boy, am I glad it is over! I tend to worry about things way too much and this was no exception.

The days leading up to the BBQ, I was up late every night frantically making more Hairblooms. "Melmo" entertained Claire more than I would want to admit to and every waking moment where I could squeeze in time I worked on getting things ready.

The morning of the BBQ, I was so upset. It was storming (like it had for the last 3 years on BBQ day) Thankfully, Anita from church let me borrow their EZ Up tent. Josh and some youth helped me set up the tent and table and then I worked on laying things out how I wanted. (if there is a next time I would like to have walls - it looks messy being able to see through into my neighbors' booths. As I was doing so, it began to POUR rain. It rained and rained and water was pooling up on the roof of my tent. I had already hung the clothing that I was selling on a clotheslines around the outside of the tent and water was dripping off of them by the time the rain stopped.
The wind then picked up which was a nuisance but luckily I had weighted my poster signs pretty well so they only fell down a couple of times.

People started to show up after the rain was gone but I know that many more would have come if the day had been nice. (or halfway warm)

I was really surprised at the number of Hairblooms that didn't sell and the number of dresses that did. I was not planning on selling any dresses - The most expensive one was $5 just because I wanted them gone. I ended up selling about half of them.


I think I only sold 3 pairs of the leg warmers.
The main sitting area where people could eat while being entertained by the bands. (Looks classy doesn't it?) The youth band played for a little while but because of the rain, everyone was pushed back way later and was very rushed.
Between helping me set up my booth, playing in the band and setting up / overseeing the youth booths, Josh was very busy.

My MOPS group had a booth too. They did face painting, a raffle and had a changing station set up for the public. I wish I could have helped but I was the only one to man my booth for the whole day.

As you can see, the sun did eventually shine and the day was not a total bummer. I had a really good time and I was glad I got as much business as I did. I ended up making over $250 but I didn't even sell half of my inventory. I am thinking I will do it again now that I don't have to stress and make anything else next time. We'll see. But if you still need a Hairbloom, there are plenty available.

No comments:

Post a Comment