Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Chose To Fight the Wrong Battle

At church today, Claire was a little extra clingy and emotional. She was sad because all her "friends" left right after church got out because it was cold and rainy.

Once at home, she was hungry and whiney so I made her (and myself) some scrambled eggs. She kept whinying and wouldn't eat much of her eggs. I was sick of it so I settled in for a looooong battle -which, of course, I always win but Claire can be stubborn so it takes a while for my victory to come around. I kept reminding her to "take another bite!" and then my reminders turned into threats. 2 spanks and 3 time-outs later, she was still only half done with her eggs. Is it really too much to ask to eat an egg? With cheese melted in it no less?

Claire kept saying her tummy hurt, a common complaint ever since about 2 months ago when I told her I couldn't jump on her trampoline with her because I had baby in my tummy and my tummy hurt. So I didn't think anything of it. Finally, after one of her time outs, I went upstairs and said "Are you ready to finish your egg? and she said "no" in a sad voice. I said she needed to take her nap then and I shut the door. About 20 minutes later, she was calling for me so I went up and she said "Mama! I choked! I choked in my bed!" I of course then felt terrible for being all in her face about eating her eggs.

(still in her church clothes)

Needless to say, she needed a bath and is now watching Dinosaur Train, with bouts of "tummy hurts" every 15 minutes or so and just threw up again! Poor baby!

After cleaning all that up, I'm not going be able to eat eggs for a long, looooooong time.

No comments:

Post a Comment