Joy

Friday, September 24, 2010

12 New Things


I thought about taking part in "12 new things" back in August when the challenge first started popping up on the various blogs I read, but I took into consideration that I would have a new baby to take care of and I thought I would be too busy to "commit" to it. (not that I really had to commit - but still, I knew I wouldn't actually do it.)

But seeing as things have changed, and I have at least year before I can hope to hold a precious baby, I said to myself "What better way to help pass the year than to broaden my horizons and learn new skills that will help me become a more well-rounded person?" I also decided to expand it and add things to the list that may not be 'skills' per say, just things that I want to do but never get around to.

Here's my list: Each month I will choose one project from my list and get it done!

1. Learn to use my serger to it's FULL potential. I am frustrated with myself that I only know how to do one simple function on it when there are so many amazing things it can do.

2. Get all my recipes typed up, laminated, and in order in my cookbook. I started this shortly after Claire was born. Then, our printer broke and by the time we replaced it I had lost my zeal for the project.

3. Make my Christmas gifts. I actually am pretty on the ball with this one - I know what I'm making and already purchased the most expensive part of the gifts back in January. Now I just have to get creative and motivated to put them together.

4. Finish reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It is sad that I even have to but this up here but if that is what it takes to get it done... so be it.

5. Learn to make GOOD, (I mean REALLY good) homemade pizza crust. I have attempted this before and always fail miserably. How do the pizza places get there crust to turn out like they do? It is a mystery to me.

6. Finish the puff quilt I started for Claire.

7. Learn to make homemade refried beans. I would REALLY love to learn to can them (and other low acid foods) but in order to do that, I need a pressure canner and those are just too expensive. I have been looking at thrift stores but even if I did find one, I don't know that I would trust it get to the right temperature. I really don't want my family to die of botulism.

8. Sew a new seat for Claire's beach chair.

9. Try making homemade pumpkin puree - since there seems to be a shortage of canned and it's that time of year when pumpkin bread and muffins sound really good.

10. Learn to sew with piping.

11. Learn to change a flat tire and put air in my tires.

12. Sell something on Ebay.

Some things will only take a day, some will take the whole month. At the end of each month, I'll post about what I learned/did - just to keep myself accountable.

I already am working on my first 'skill'. I need to hurry though since it is almost the end of September.

2 comments:

  1. are you wanting to "can" refried beans? Because i have made "refried beans" before... and can freeze them! Maybe you should do #13 as teach friends exciting new skills... (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ambitious and goal-oriented, just like your amazing mom! I hope it rubs off on me!

    ReplyDelete