Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Sigh of Relief, a Prayer of Thanks

I am finally out of my first trimester and I am so relieved! Baby 2 has a strong and healthy heartbeat!

There is nothing worse to me than those first few weeks of not knowing if you'll miscarry. This is something I always have worried about but in the back of my mind thought it would never really happen to me.... I was wrong.
Not knowing if it might take a little longer to conceive, (Claire was the first try) we tried around Thanksgiving and surprise I was pregnant! We were excited and planned to tell everyone at Christmas. I had Claire's Big Sister shirt all ready to go but 3 days before Christmas, I miscarried. I was only at 6 weeks so it wasn't a big deal and I didn't go to the doctor at all. There is nothing they can do that early on anyway.

Some of you might think this is terrible, but I always pray when I first am pregnant that if there is something terribly wrong with the baby that I would miscarry early on and if I'm going to miscarry, that it be before we tell anyone. Seeing how most miscarriages are due to chromosomal abnormalities and seeing how it happened days before the big announcement, I felt God has answered my prayer exactly how I had asked Him to and I really am so thankful.

My biggest concern was when we could try again and after reading thousands of mixed opinions we decided to not wait, so two weeks after the miscarriage, we tried and here we are today with a seemingly healthy 12 week old. I am so thankful to God that He's blessed us with making it easy to have children. I never want to take that for granted. I know too many people that do not have that luxury.

I can't wait until I can feel the baby moving around for that constant peace of mind (a month between appointments is a very long time.) I do however have the joy of hearing the heartbeat whenever I want because I have a fetal heart doppler. After an embarrassing, tear-filled trip to the doctor because I hadn't felt Claire move for two days, I decided to invest in one. It only cost $150 and I must say, it works really well because I was able to hear the heartbeat at just 10 weeks and 3 days with it. If you are a worrier like me, I highly recommend it. I also let people borrow it when I am not pregnant - so after October, let me know if you want it. Here is Baby 2's heart rate today. It's been between 176 and 165 since I've started listening.Next week is my first official appointment with my midwife and I am stoked. I plan on sharing in great detail (well, within reason of course:) about this whole midwife experience and home birth. I seriously could not be more excited about it and I can't wait to go into labor! (when the time is right:)

Ephesians 3:20
Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kathleen, I am so excited for you! I love seeing how happy and excited you are about the new baby. It must be amazing to hear that little heart beating inside you. I can't wait until God gives Joel and I a little one of our own, but I just have to be patient for His timing on that!

    ReplyDelete